Thursday, February 12, 2009

We're not in Utah anymore, Toto...

I have been taking (full) advantage of free babysitting offered at the local Y - 2 hours a day with a membership. Pure awesomeness. I have been exploring all the different exercise classes that are available. It was during one of these very classes that I realized we're not in Utah anymore. What class was it? you ask.


Line dancing.


Yep, we've definitely burst out of "the bubble."


And it feels nice.


I've noticed some other differences about life in Oklahoma, other than the line dancing.
  • Lots of trucks.
  • Lots of horses and cows.
  • Lots of skunks.
  • Lots and lots and lots of churches. Oh wait, that's just like Utah. Except, they're not all Mormon chapels.
  • Killer tornadoes/thunderstorms/winds (and when I say "killer," I mean it quite literally).
But, one of the more subtle differences I have noticed since arriving in Oklahoma about a month ago, and one difference I have been quite surprised by, is the friendliness of complete strangers. Believe it or not, people are friendlier here than in "Happy Valley." That, I would not have expected. I mean, Utah is the WWJD capital of the world, right? So you would think people would be uber kind and neighborly...not always the case. The other day I was at Reasor's, the only true grocery store here in town (Albertson's went out of business, much to my dismay), and I was in the produce section. The oranges looked particularly inviting so I approached the display. An older gentleman came up about the same time and proceeded to tell me how delicious these oranges were and how he's come back three times to buy more. Then, as I was checking out, he came up in line behind me and we again continued the orange banter. But it's not only at the grocery store - I've made "friends" at restaurants, the gym, with neighbors, and at stores.

The friendliness seems to be sincere, too. A lot of times in Provorem, the gesture was there, but the heart was missing.

I'm looking forward to living in a more heterogenous community, with all the perks it has to offer.


Like delectable oranges and line dancing.

7 comments:

  1. Sound like you're adapting to life outside of Utah really well! There's something so nice about Midwesterners - I never could put my finger on it - they just seemed to care more about people than about "things".
    Keep the updates coming - we're hungry for news from the Okie-Wilson's!

    ReplyDelete
  2. btw - if Emma and Skip do end up in Colorado in the near future... we've got our road trip all planned out! Day 1 - 350mi to SLC, Day 2 - 450mi to Ft. Collins, Day 3 - 760mi to YOU!

    ReplyDelete
  3. KIm, so glad to hear you've found affable kin in your new hometown, and free babysitting! Sounds lovely my dear. Love to read news from you...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I guess I am glad that things are going so well for you and that you are happy BUT I miss not seeing you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That was one of the greatest things about my Mission- is that everyone was soooooo nice, they really did care about you (and your eternal damnation for being Mormon). I think the people in the buckle of the bible belt really do have love in their hearts for everyone. Some of those Okie's need to find their way to Florida to teach people how to be nice!!!! Glad things are going good for you guys- and I am totally jealous that you can have babysitting for 2 hours to work out!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gag I'm in the hating Happy Valley stage. Seriously I've noticed how rude people actually are here! It's nuts! Cutting you off, giving you the smirk, you know all that fun stuff. That's awesome about the orange guy. I'll have to do a post about the funny parmesan guy at Wal-mart when me and katie went...

    ReplyDelete
  7. It sounds like OK has a lot to offer! 2 hours of free babysitting is awesome :) Keep the updates coming...I miss you guys tons. And by the way, pictures would be good too

    ReplyDelete